In the Spotlight with Yvette Yates!




Beautiful, talented, and focused, Yvette has proven her star quality in Hollywood!  With 2 Best Actress Nominations and several movies on her resume, she is now a member of the red carpet elite!

She gave us an insight to her accomplishments and experiences in Hollywood!
From meeting fabulous A-Listers to walking the red carpet...

Yvette is an inspiration of grace, intelligence, and femininity,
a FABULOUS ROLE MODEL....

 "THIS IS EXACTLY WHERE I AM SUPPOSED TO BE" ...


                                                    

    1.  How did you get into the movie biz?
"My parents have always stressed the importance of education on all of us since I can remember.  It was ingrained from the beginning and I am thankful to have been given the hunger to learn more, to persevere, to put the time and work hard for the end goal.  With the tool of knowledge, we can achieve anything, and I believe that to the core.  I received my degree, B.S. Physiological Science from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), worked in various research facilities on campus and published in the Journal of Molecular Immunology.  The lessons learned, the discipline, the camaraderie, the growing up all has factored into who I am.  I tell my parents that if I ever do a role in the medical field that I will actually understand the verbiage.  I loved my major and have the highest regards for the sciences and the field of medicine.   The care, the time, and the knowledge that is passed on forms each of our lives, affects our lives on how we approach the world providing a different lens."
"But with the tenacity and my passion, I began submitting myself to short films, and in 2008 was cast as the lead in an AFI thesis film about human trafficking called Nina Quebrada which was well received in the festival circuit.  That was my first mark, which I feel started the domino effect and received a Best Actress Nomination in the 2008 Imagen Awards and the 2008 Santa Barbara International Film Festival." 

2.  What has been your greatest challenge?
'I feel we still have to continue forging ahead, but there are times when one confronts the occasional "How about doing the character with a thicker accent?"I've done roles that happen to have accents and it fits the storyline and character but for example on EL GRINGO, my character, ANNA was from a bordertown and I talked to one of the producers and the director about portraying her as speaking both English and Spanish without an accent, dominating both. I thought it was important because I wanted to portray that Latinos today do master both languages as well, and the character is such a strong independent role, I wanted that layer within her.  It was empowering to play a strong, independent female lead role in an action film that could also embody a warmth without giving up her strength.  I feel we are seeing more examples of that with Jennifer Lawrence in the Hunger Games and Naomi Rapace in The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo.  They have a complexity to them as well, and it's exciting to see our writers are creating those roles for us."

3.  What celebrities inspire you and why?

'Meryl Streep, Marion Cotillard, Robert Downey Jr., Gary Oldman, Penelope Cruz, and so many more.  As an actor, I always want to be challenged, I want to play extremes, and stretch that level of creativity and have it touch people. That is the ultimate experience, when you become a character on set that it doesn't feel like "acting", you are them in that moment, you must bring the truth because you cannot fool an audience. And to evoke a discussion, an enlightenment, a laugh, a cry, a memory is such an extraordinary feat. They have done that and continue to, and that's what I strive for and respect."
4. How do you handle the exposure?
"MY FAMILY.  These two words are my foundation, my strength, my everything.  I'm in constant contact with my parents and siblings whether it's email, a call, or skype.  Most recently, I was filming " IN THE BLOOD" in Puerto Rico, so there was a lot of skyping and this way I get to share with them my experiences as if they were here.  We have always been close.  We are one another's voice of reason, support and motivation, I'm truly grateful for that."

         5. How has Hollywood embraced you?
"I feel like I have worked hard like in any profession to be where I am, and that never stops because I love this craft. Every role is an opportunity for me to showcase my dimensions, and Hollywood is right there to receive it.  Every "next" role, opens up my opportunity, because we are validated by our work.  Working alongside talented actors, really does up your game, it keeps you on your toes, and you are continually learning from your co-stars and director, it's a completely different experience every time."




6.Who have you worked with that made you feel "Star Struck?"

"From Eva Longoria to Christian Slater to Danny Trejo to Vin Diesel to Anna Paquin who received an Oscar for The Piano, every moment is extraordinary for me. Every time I come to a set, I feel humbled and ready to play with my fellow actors."

7.  What does it feel like to walk on the Red Carpet?
"This is exactly where I'm supposed to be.  What do I strive for within my craft?  To find that moment of truth, expose it for what it is because that is when one becomes the character, there's no fooling the audience, they see it, hear it, feel it. The RED CARPET is a celebration of all you have accomplished not solely as an actor but as a whole team, from the PA to the crew to the makeup and hair to the producers....every single person made it happen.  And who doesn't love to get all glammed up for the cameras!  I do always enjoy it fully. In some way it feels like a reunion because one might have shot the film, a year ago or 3 years ago and there you are with everyone to see it all on the Big Screen."

8.  Who in Hollywood do you want to work with / meet?
"Favorite actor: Robert Downey Jr., Gary Oldman ( a chameleon in all his roles), Javier Bardem, Martin Sheen, Gene Kelly (grew up watching musicals, LOVED "Singing in the Rain" and all his dancing & singing)Favorite actress: Meryl Streep ( most favorite scene in HEARTBURN by Nora Ephron- it's of her in the beauty parlor and with nothing said you see this transformation on her face of her realizing her husband (Jack Nicholson is having an affair as ); Kristen Wigg ( her comedic sensibility and characters on SNL); Sophia Loren, Penelope Cruz   and of course directors like Pedro Almodovar & Guillermo del Toro."

9.  How much has your life changed, special perks, privileges?
'There are the occasional leaves to locations like Bulagaria or Puerto Rico to film, events to attend, but I feel my home life hasn't dramatically changed. I always make sure to stay active, maintain creative always, constantly reading scripts, books, and of course spending time with my family. And cooking, love love cooking!!"




10. Who is your favorite designer?
"Favorite designer: Oscar de la Renta, Christian Dior, Gucci ( really love the styles and colors worn by Salma Hayek, Jennifer Lopez, Sofia Vergara, Penelope Cruz- sexy, fun, and they embrace the curves of a woman)There are a few designers who frequently dress me for events and are just fantastic:Adolfo Sanchez, Kathryn Hynes, Jeri Moore, Sarah Haynes Gemstone Jewellery & Etoile Couture Jewelry"
-----------


11. What is "In the Blood" about?
"II recently finished principal photography in PUERTO RICO for “IN THE BLOOD”, an action thriller where I star as "Leta" with a prominent cast: MMA fighter-turned-actress Gina Carano (“Haywire“), Cam Gigandet (“Twilight”), Danny Trejo (“Machete”) , Stephen Lang (“Avatar”), Luis Guzman (“How To Make it in America”), and Amaury Nolasco (“Transformers”).  In the vein of Taken, Blood is set in motion with a husband disappearing while vacationing in the Caribbean with his wife (Carano). She sets out in a relentless pursuit of the men whom she believes kidnapped and killed him. John Stockwell (“Into the Blue,” “Turistas“) directs from a script by Bennett Yellin and James Robert Johnston. Shaun Redick and Ray Mansfield are producing."


  Thank you Yvette for this Fabulous Interview! XOXO


Comments

Popular Posts